Monday, 29 November 2010

Vet School Applications & A levels.....

Vet schools........

Having made the decision to pursue veterinary medicine whilst still in America, I began contacting all the veterinary schools in the UK. The prospect of studying in America was very appealing too, but because you are considered an international student the fees are prohibitively expensive.

I contacted Bristol, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Nottingham and Dublin vet schools, all of whom were prompt and helpful in their responses, but with hugely different scales of tuition fees for potential second degree students. Some universities it seems offer accelerated programmes of 4 years as opposed to the usual 5 years, and these are available to students in a similar situation to myself who have completed and meet previous experience/qualifications which enables them to fast-track.

As I investigated more and more, It quickly became apparent that the only vet school which I could possibly hope to raise the funding towards attending was Nottingham. This is largely because Nottingham have elected to cap their fees at £16,000 total for the whole 5 years, rather than the other school which ranged between £64,000 to £110,000!!!!!

Nottingham Vet School........

So I have applied to just one vet school - Nottingham, which was new in 2006 but is progressive in its approach to curriculum design and lecture delivery and holds a very highly regarded teaching team in the veterinary science department.

My application was submitted via UCAS in October and I have recently completed the next phase of the process which was a very demanding online questionnaire! The aim of these is not to trip you up but to really whittle the stronger candidates from the weaker ones, and see who is outstanding following completion of all the phases. If successful, the next phase involves a telephone interview, followed by a formal interview at the vet school in the Spring of 2011.

Watch this space............here are the postcards sent to acknowledge receipt of my application........

A levels - in biology and chemistry......

In the mean time I am keeping myself busy attending my local 6th Form College in Pwllheli, north Wales - Coleg Meirion Dwyfor to complete A levels in chemistry and biology!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seems that having left school with only GCSE's has finally caught up with me! Nottingham Vet school have said that I must complete these two subjects in order to be considered for a place, so it's more studying for me.........both in a year, taught through Welsh and a little bit in English!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment