
So having completed and submitted my vet school application, my thoughts have turned to funding. A veterinary degree is no mean feat in terms of academic ability, dedication, time and sheer will, and not least financial commitment!
Tuition fees......

With tuition fees totaling £16,000 over five years and little opportunity to gain paid work due to the immense work load of studying, seeing practice and extra mural studies, it leaves no option but to be able to support ones self throughout the degree without relying upon gainful employment.
I have researched all funding avenues, including veterinary specific bursaries/scholarships, funds for second degrees, charitable donations/awards/loans and educational grants as advised by the British Veterinary Association (BVA):
http://www.bva.co.uk/1146.aspx
Competition for scholarships and awards is high and funds are limited although the few that are available look promising, and I shall most definitely apply come January 2011 (since all of them open for applications during the year of your proposed study).
Advertising & raising my profile......
I am just about to run an article in my local paper the Caernarfon & Denbigh Herald which covers North Wales, and should help to raise my profile and plight to raise funding towards my degree costs. This is in line with this blog and a numerous other new media ideas which are yet to be launched.
Bank loan....
Having discussed my situation with my bank, they have agreed to loan me a substantial sum which will cover my tuition fees, but not the cost of living for 5 years. So my aim from now onwards is to publicise and raise my profile even further in order to raise the estimated £55,000 required to support myself over the five year period of study.
Cost of living......
This has been calculated based on £11,000 per annum, which covers, very basic, frugal living costs incorporating rent, utilities, car, books, travel expenses & phone. Since I am a mature student of 36 I will not be eligible for halls of residence, so external accommodation will be required, although this should be better suited to my needs.
I am also in the process of researching funding opportunities through the following:
Charities Digest
The Educational Grants Directory
A Guide for Individual in Need
The Complete University Guide: Student Finance
The Grants Register
The Directory of Grant Making Trusts: Rural Conservation & Animal Welfare
This is on top of an extensive list which I have drawn up of UK & USA based philanthropists, sports/media celebrities, veterinary pharmaceutical companies, animal feed companies, veterinary technologies - all of whom I intend to write to in the New Year.
Please feel free to submit any additional ideas which you might have in terms of fundraising, oralternatively if you wish you contribute to my fund then do please contact me........!!!
All donations, however great or small will be most gratefully received!
The opportunity to gain entry for study in September 2011 is my LAST CHANCE given the Government's proposed hike in tuition fees up to £9,000 per year. So this really is make or break for me!
Thanks for reading..........
No comments:
Post a Comment